Friday, February 11, 2011

Sweeping the Yard

I’m journaling in the shade of the Hernandez side patio. My first interview is scheduled for 10 a.m., so this slow morning is a wonderful reprieve. 

Just across the cement balustrade that edges the patio, a young man sweeps the dirt. Yes, sweeps.

I survey the  bare dirt, the size of the seeds and trash particles, and conclude that yes, sweeping is more appropriate than raking. I’m getting better at cross-cultural tolerance.

Well, somewhat better. Some deeper place, I still hunger to see that dirt carpeted with grass.

I test my Spanish,  learn his name is Adriel, and continue.

Esta usted un pariento de Hernandezes?” (Are you a relative of the Hernandezes?”) I ask.

Se. Leyda es mi tia,” (Yes, Leyda is my aunt.) he answers.

I’ve met two of Leyda’s sisters: Lina and Lourdes.

“Que esta su madre?” (Who is your mother?) I ask.

He replies something rapid and unintelligible. I try again.

“Esta Lourdes su madre?” (Is Lourdes your mother?)

“Si,” he says.

I journal a few more sentences, and then a lingual light dawns. In Spanish I actually asked him, “What, temporarily, is your mother?”

I was, I realize, also unintelligible.


And (sigh) I also asked him if Lourdes was temporarily his mother.



2 comments:

  1. A friend who grew up in the hills of West Virginia explains how very poor her family was by telling us about sweeping the yard when company came. Of course that was 50 year ago; no update of whether or not those same yards get swept, or need to get swept, today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanksfor every other informative site. The place else may just I get that kind of information written in such an ideal means? I have a venture that I’m just now operating on, and I have been on the look out for such information. industrijski sesalnik

    ReplyDelete