Sunday, February 13, 2011

Nicaragua Pedicure.


Shirt Logo
Already in the U.S. I was looking forward to another Nicaragua pedicure. The memory of a year ago had stayed strong.

 At 11 Saturday morning, Sandra, a Hernandez sister-in-law, arrives at the guest house with her canvas bag of supplies. She heats water, puts on her glasses (los lentes), and my two-hours of self-indulgence on the Hernandez side patio begin—Google translator open on my laptop. Sandra has traveled two hours by Managua bus to this appointment.

I ask about the glasses. New since last year? Yes, she says, for reading and close work. I say mine are the same.

I am intrigued by the logo on her red shirt: "Zimbabwe Women Writers."  With the help of Google translator, I learn it was given to her by a friend who travels a lot—to China, Germany, and other countries.  Google translate can not  get me to any further understanding.

I say that during last year’s pedicure we heard together  the radio announcement about the earthquake (terromoto) in Haiti. She remembers too. We chat a bit more and she says a sentence that ends in “eye-tea.” I do not understand. She spells: H-A-I-T-I.

Duhhhh! Of course. How stupid of me.

I keystroke stupid and Google translator spits out estupida.

“Yo estoy estupida!” I say. (I am stupid!)

Her eyes widen. She looks quickly toward the house to see if anyone has overheard. She raises a finger and whispers. “Muy mal. Grosera.”  (Very bad. Rude.)

Apparently estupida is a forbidden word in Spanish.

Not a bad idea in any language.

Sandra
The Rest of the Story. . .

My feet perfect, I pay Sandra the $5 she charges, plus a healthy tip. She stays for the afternoon, gives Leyda, her sister-in-law a pedicure and manicure. I don’t know if this was a free service for a relative or a paid job. I do know the Hernandez family pays relatives to clean their yard and house.

She thanks me profusely for remembering her from last year. I tell her I could not forget. “Fue el major pedicure en el todo mundo." (It was the best pedicure in the whole world.)

Sandra gets a ride half-way home with Ricardo, who is headed for Verbo church. She will then have just one hour on the bus.

It has been a good day for both of us. I’ve had a wonderful, inexpensive pedicure. 

And, if Marlo’s information about day labor is correct, she has earned more than a Nicaraguan worker’s average for a day.

2 comments:

  1. A two-hour pedicure? How many toes do you have, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maureen, thanks for a wonderful first-thing-after-lunch laugh!

    ReplyDelete