Thursday, January 7, 2010

See the Tree, How Big It’s Grown


After lunch today, Marlo and I walk the Nehemiah Center grounds, see the vocational school under construction, the Nejapa Christian school, and  the thatch-roofed ranchero where we ate many meals with the Faith CRC team of two years ago,

Then we walk toward the barbed-wire fence where that team planted 100 bouganvillea , using pick-axes to pound holes into the cindered soil. They carried bags of seedlings, three different pastels, to the fenceline, patted them in, and  hosed each one with water, carrying buckets where the hoses failed to reach.

And then they left.

I wonder if some plants, at least, survived, and if they’ve grown.

When we approach, I see no fence—it is overtaken by a wall of shrubs, blooming three different pastels.

Marlo stands under a branch and I take his picture. A fragment of an old song comes to mind: See the tree how big it’s grown. But friends it hasn’t been too long. . .”


It hasn’t been too long. Just yesterday they were bagged seedlings.

 “I’ll post this on the blog for team members,” I say. “They will be pleased.”

I think that God is, too.

1 comment:

  1. My they have grown haven't they?? Thanks for posting the picture!! Trust you are having a good time working and getting climatized to the warm weather ??? God's blessings to you both!!! Cindy

    ReplyDelete