Thursday, February 9, 2012

For Five Weeks . . .

This morning, for the first time, I donned a long-sleeved shirt.
For more than a month, I have worn only short-sleeved clothing—selected from a suitcase
Except for my ancient Timex, I have worn no jewelry, not even my wedding ring.
I have awakened to the sound of roosters, dogs, or traffic.
I have stepped outdoors into warm air, bright sun, and cloudless skies.
I have walked under nine-foot poinsettias, bright with blooms.
I have traveled by foot, bus, and taxi, while our van sat motionless in a Miami parking lot.
On the roads along with cars were walkers, bikers, motorcyclists, and horse-drawn carts.
Daily I have eaten beans or rice or fried plantains.
And also pineapple, bananas, and mangoes, fresh from the tree.
I have used hand-sanitizer before each meal.
I have disposed of bathroom tissue in a wastebasket.
I have been a member of a Caucasian minority.
I have spoken Spanish.

This morning I donned long-sleeves and a ski jacket, ordered oatmeal, in English, at McDonald’s, and departed in our mini-van.
West Virginia I-64, flanked hills of evergreens, has only cars and trucks.
Yesterday we drove in snow. This morning, the sky is grey.
Tonight, for the first time in a month, I shall take pajamas from a dresser drawer.
For better and for worse, I shall be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment