Monday, January 23, 2012

Dropping Dinero

Chinandega Vendor

Again tonight, there will be laughter over dinner in Nicaraguan homes.*

After visiting two colonial cathedrals, Marlo and I wind through the open-air Chinandega market, jammed with produce vendors.

We have seen no other gringos all day.  We catch curious glances from the vendors. I wonder for a moment, if people of color experience this on Pella streets.

Then I tell Marlo I’d like some video of this market. A few minutes later, impatient, I offer to take the video, but he says, no, he will.

He pulls the flip video from his shorts pocket and starts recording when there is a sudden ruckus in the street behind us. Startled we look back and 3-4 people are beckoning us, pointing to cordobas on the street behind us. When Marlo pulled out the flip video, Nicaraguan bills followed behind.

An elderly couple helps us retrieve them. We laugh, shake our heads, thank them profusely, and continue.

For the next half block, broad smiles replace those curious glances.  We know, we know--we are foolish gringos who don’t know how to take care of money.

A block down the street, where we are again anonymous, we purchase bananas and cookies. When we are ready to head back, I wish I were one of the magi.

I want to return by another way.

*For an earlier incident of Nicaraguan laughter, see blog entry for January 16: “In Search of Epsom Salts.”

No comments:

Post a Comment