Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Commencement

It’s 4 p.m. and I’m in the Nehemiah Center wicker rocker one last time, staring up at an eight-foot “Bienvenidos!” (Welcome!)

It is totally inappropriate.

In an hour I leave the Nehemiah Center.


Tomorrow morning we depart Nicaragua.
·       We have been here 28 days.
·        I have conducted 25 interviews, taken 500 photos, and visited 12 different communities.
·      I have made 35 blog posts that were visited 385 times by 116 different readers.

Tomorrow it ends.

Or does it?

Maybe, as commencement speakers say, this is not an end, but a start:
·        A start to learning God will use this month to change me
·        A start to a longer relationship with the Nehemiah Center and Nicaragua
·        A start to launching a book

I had planned this blog would end today.

I have changed my mind.

For a season, I will continue.

Already impacted by Nicaragua, after a debate with myself I decide to let the word “season” remain—ambiguous, unedited. 

I reject my North-American impulse make that word precise.

So, blog readers, you may continue to check back once or twice a week for a season, to see how the commencement is faring.

“Bienvenidos”  still stares at me from across the room.

Appropriate.

And welcoming.

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to your commencement! Thank you for letting us come with you to Nicaragua through your blog posts. Deb

    ReplyDelete